Council Tax Status Discount/Exemption - Student Form
Any personal data you provide on this form will be handled in accordance with data protection legislation and details as to how we will use your personal data can be found in the Privacy Notice provided at this link
Notes to read before you fill in this form.
The Local Government Finance Act 1992, Schedule 1, the Discount Disregards Order 1992, paragraph 4 and Schedule 1, Part II, and Discount Disregards Order 2011 provide that a person is to be disregarded for the purpose of determining entitlement to discount if he or she is a student
The term "student" covers:-
a) Any person who is undertaking a full time course of education at a prescribed educational establishment.
b) A person under the age of 20, undertaking a qualifying course of education
c) A foreign language assistant.
a) A full time course of education is defined as one;
i. Which subsists for at least one academic year or one calendar year (as the case may be),
ii. Which the students are normally required by the prescribed educational establishment to undertake for at least 24 weeks in each academic or calendar year,
iii. Which is such that the student must undertake at least 21 hours of study, tuition or work experience per week in each academic or calendar year.
A course will not be treated as a full time course of education if the aggregate for the course as a whole of all the periods of work experience exceeds the aggregate of all periods of study or tuition.
A prescribed educational establishment is defined as;
Universities, institutions within the Polytechnics and Colleges Funding Council, any other institution in England or Wales or a member state of the European Union established solely or mainly for the purpose of providing courses of further or higher education.
b) For council tax purposes the term "student" also covers young people under the age of 20 who are not on a full time course of education, as set out above, but are undertaking a qualifying course of education. A "qualifying course" is one that lasts for at least 3 months and is not a course of higher education. Evening courses and correspondence courses do not qualify and neither does job related training where the training is being undertaken in consequence of a person’s employment. A qualifying course must require at least 12 hours per week to be spent on the relevant activities of the course.
c) A foreign language assistant is a person who;
i. Is registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges as a foreign language assistant, and
ii. Is appointed as a foreign language assistant at a school or other educational institution in Great Britain.
* This indicates mandatory fields